Monday Mix Up #9 w/ Sunshine (Revolver)

Interview: Kid's Table


DJ Name: Sunshine
Years in industry: 11
Favourite catch phrase:  Keeping it real. 

KT: For everyone out there looking to get into deejayin'; how did you first start and what was your 'big break'?

After a misspent youth in the outer suburbs of Fremantle I packed up my stuff and hopped a bus to the bright lights of Melbourne. Upon arriving with not much but a crate of vinyl and a dream; I worked several shitty retail and cafe jobs, after a year I finally scraped enough money to buy a pair of technics SL1200'mk2s and a vestax pmc17 mixer (with a pretty mirror finish), after a few random house party gigs and practicing mixing everyday for a year and a half, I got heavily involved in the Melbourne scene. Everything from dropping flyers to party's supporting as many night clubs as I could through my patronage. Eventually I started getting booked for a few more professional club/bar gigs, probably the most important being Revolver Upstairs on a Wednesday night, which led to me taking over Saturday mornings recovery session in 2003. Where I have been since.

KT: What advice can you give to any aspiring deejays out there that want to make their hobby into a career?

Play what you love. Find your own style and support the scene you want to be a part of. There are plenty of people out there with a hard drive full of music pretty similar to what you might have, so.. you need to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

KT: What has been your favourite gig/venue to play at and why?

Revolver Saturday mornings. I have probably spent more time at Revolver than I have at most of the apartments I have lived in, still even after 8 years week in, week out playing 5 hour sets I have always managed to have a great time.

KT: Who has been the biggest influence in your career so far?

Boogs. Melbourne's best DJ. He's inspired a generation of DJs and copycat's but still keeps it real.

KT: What projects are you working on at the moment?

I'm pretty new to the production world. I've been spending some time in the studio with a few people helping me along, I have one track that's pretty much done. I've been giving it a test run in my set's recently and it's been getting really good responses so hopefully it will be released soon, but I guess you'll hear more about it when its closer.

KT: For anyone who hasn't caught you live yet; what can they expect to see?

A mixture of house and techno.. I like to call it hapno. My sets are always about having fun, I believe that if you enjoy what you do that kind of positive energy rubs off on people on the dance floor. 

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

Wally Badarou - Hi Life, just listen to it and you'll think your on a tropical island :-) 

Gig Dates:

09.09.11 - Lady Luck @ Circus 

10.09.11 - Revolver Upstairs Recovery 7am-12pm

10.09.11 - Superdisco @ The Prince

10.09.11 - Late Night Supper Club @ Circus 

17.09.11 - Revolver Upstairs Recovery 7am-12pm

17.09.11 - Superdisco @ The Prince

23.09.11 - Lady Luck @ Circus

24.09.11 - Revolver Upstairs Recovery 7am-12pm

24.09.11 - Superdisco @ The Prince

24.09.11 - Poison Apple @ Ladida


& keep up to date with all things tropical!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast