Monday Mix Up #13 w/ Josh Symons

Interview: Kid's Table



DJ Name: Josh Symons
Residencies: Faux Love/Kick It, Cuda Bar, Touch me, I'm Sick
Years in industry: 1-2

KT: For everyone out there looking to get into deejayin'; how did you first start and what was your 'big break'?

I first started playing when a friend sold me his old Pioneer CDJ 200's and a basic mixer. I never really set out to be a 'DJ' I just loved playing around with my friends pretending I knew what I was doing! Then after a year of playing in my bedroom a good friend asked me to play an early set at one of his nights at Circus Night Club (Melbourne). After that gig the guys at Kick It asked me to play a few gigs, within a month I'd supported the likes of Yolanda Be Cool, Bag Raiders and Sampology.

KT: What advice can you give to any aspiring deejays out there that want to make their hobby into a career?

Wait until you're ready to play a club, and do it because you enjoy it. There's too many douches on the scene that only play because it's the 'cool' thing to do. They can't beat match, they get gigs on ticket selling merit, and they always seem to brand themselves under a shit random name :/ - Oh, and stay in school.

KT: What has been your favourite gig/venue to play at and why?

My favourite gig would have to be when I supported Yolanda Be Cool at Blue Martini. It was my second ever club gig and I got to play right before them, it was also the first time I'd ever played to a large crowd which is very memorable!

KT: Who has been the biggest influence in your career so far?

Ajax/Monkey Safari. The way Ajax chooses and plays songs is somethign any DJ can learn from, in a party set context of course. Then at the same time I've always appreciated the way a good house artist like Monkey Safari can build a set.

KT: What projects are you working on at the moment?

After putting together this mix for the Pleasurekraft gig I'm just focusing on preparing for the busy schedule that comes with the summer season. Nights like Fake Chow Saturdays, Cuda Bar and Touch Me, I'm Sick I'm really looking forward to.

KT: For anyone who hasn't caught you live yet; what can they expect to see?

Depending on where I can play they can expect to hear anything from old school RNB to 90s trance anthems (not really), but I do like to mix it up depending on the venue and the crowd. If I'm playing a normal club set I like to play main room house with some party songs. I like to utilise 3 decks, using samples and playing songs for what I feel is just the right amount of time. Then in the right context I like to play tech-house and techno.

KT: What's the first song that pops into your head when you think 'Getting Tropical' and why?

Bibio - Lovers Carvings (Catz and Dogz edit). Deep house at it's best too by the way.

Gig Dates:

04.11.11 - Touch Me, I'm Sick presents Pleasurekraft @ The National Hotel, Geelong
05.11.11 - Faux Love presents Deacon Rose and LightYear @ The Bridge Hotel, Ballarat
12.11.11 - Fake Chow Saturdays @ Basement Bar, Geelong
19.11.11 - @ Cuda Bar, Lorne
26.11.11 - TwelveAM presents Shazam and Knightlife @ Home House Night Club, Geelong


Track Listing:

1. Anubis (Original Mix) - Pleasurekraft
2. Oversexed (Original Mix) - Format:B
3. Come Together (Lisboa & Luthier Remix) - Beatles
4. LEZGO (Original Mix) - Justin Martin, Ardalan
5. Zooloo (Pleasurekraft Remix) - Miles Dyson, Aaren San
6. Pinky (Original Mix) - Zombie Disco Squad
7. Satyr Song (Original Mix) - Pleasurekraft

& keep up to date with all things tropical!

Interview: Kid's Table

.

GTmember
E-mail address:
GTpodcast